This is a simple cake that’ll startle you with its rich crunchiness. It tantalizes taste buds with its fresh apple and the kiss of cinnamon to add to its beautiful flavours.
I baked this cake a couple of hours back and everyone has been delightfully surprised with the way it has turned out.
Apple Crumble Cake:
Servings: 12 to 14
Difficulty Level: Medium
The Crumb Topping:
- Butter – 5 tbsp
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- All-purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/4 Tsp
- Walnuts coarsely chopped – 1/2 cup
For the cake:
- All-purpose flour – 2 cups
- Baking powder – 2 Tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 Tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp (I ground it at home)
- Butter – 8 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs (whole) – 2
- Vanilla essence 2 tsp
- Yoghurt – 1/2 cup (I used the home set curd)
- Apple – 2 peeled, cored and diced
For the Crumb Topping:
- Mix together butter, sugar, flour and salt with a fork till you get a crumbly mixture.
- Mix in chopped walnuts and refrigerate (do not put in freezer) till required.
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (about 355 degrees F).
- Grease and line the bottom and sides of an 8″ round or square tin.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder. Keep this mixture aside.
- Beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in eggs one by one, beating for about 1 minute after each addition followed by vanilla essence.
- Add the flour mixture and yoghurt alternately, beginning and ending with flour.
- Beat well till you get a smooth batter.
- The batter will be thick. Mix in the diced apple.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared cake tin and even out the top using a spatula.
- Sprinkle over the crumb topping evenly.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or till crumbs are golden and the bamboo skewer inserted comes out clean.
Serve plain or with some whipped cream or custard.
This recipe has been adapted from the book ‘Baking – from my home to yours’ – by Dorie Greenspan
For more recipes from my kitchen, visit my food corner.