I read a lot of blogs. So many, that sometimes I jump from one post to other without stopping to scribble a comment if whatever is on my mind has already been said in the comments. I am sure many of you can relate to this habit of mine. But, there is more to it. For me, reading a blog is like reading a book where every post adds a new chapter.
I might not remember the precise details but I always remember the story from the start. This brings us to another trait of mine. I am a slow reader. I read books at a slow pace though thrillers are an exception. I like the information to seep into the cracks of my brain and be absorbed to become an inseparable experience of my life. The very same process goes on when I read blogs.
My mom doesn’t read blogs but she knows the details of about 80% of the blogs ( the other 20% are either on technology or my field of study and the like) I read. I regularly discuss with her the happenings, events, memoirs, recipes, crafts and even inspirational stories I read at the blogs I frequent. I no longer possess a photographic memory like I once used to (blame it on the billion worries buzzing in my senile brain) but my mum remembers everything precisely.
The outcome being, on many occasions my mum asks me whether X from Bangalore made this Biryani this way? or was it done the way we made last time. I am sure you get the drift. So all the stories I read actually exist as inseparable part of our lives for we talk about them as if we knew all bloggers personally.
A few days back when I had written a post on Pari’s emotional outburst, I received many e-mails and comments suggesting wonderful tips and sharing personal experiences. Mum and I actually had a lengthy talk about all of those. A learning curve for me and a revision for my mum as to what all mums do in today’s day and age unlike what she used to do when I was a baby.
Each time Pari reaches a milestone, me and mum talk about how it was when I was a baby, or milestones of my nephews and nieces and even about the blog babies (babies and kids of bloggers) and then we marvel at the diversity and enjoy telling our comparative study results to my dad who half the time fails to understand who is this Uma, Seema, Vidya, etc that we are talking about. Though with time every person he can’t recognize he believes him/her to be a blogger.
This is why, I do not believe in the famous concept of ‘I scratch your back and you scratch mine’ as far blogging goes. I do not give up on reading any blog just because the blogger doesn’t visit mine or doesn’t comment on my blog. I can’t give up on a blog midway, I have to know what happened next.
I sometimes think my fascination with blogs is similar to the way people are addicted to soaps on TV, whether interesting or boring but after following for a while you just can’t give up on a story.
Everything isn’t pleasant about this blog-addiction story. For my Google Reader now has so many subscriptions that at times I struggle to read all blogs I’ve subscribed to. This makes me cringe inside and then I read all the posts in a jet speed without bothering to comment. Though I rarely read a blog without leaving my footprints behind. I love comments and I enjoy leaving my two cents on other’s hard-work too.
If I read your blog, once in a while ( if not often) you would surely have heard my views on your posts, but be assured, all your posts are archived in my mind for sure.
So in case I have missed on commenting on your blog, please don’t worry for I have surely been lurking around.
The song on my mind: Kya yehi pyar hai ~ Rocky