I have eaten a number of stuffed potato, stuffed tomato and stuffed capsicum recipes both with the vegetarian and non-vegetarian stuffings. They make for delightful, easy to make and delicious starter or a meal in their own stride. A couple of days back I stumbled upon GB’s recipe of Stuffed Jacket Potatoes and at once knew this had to be tried right away.
The best part is, the recipe turned out to be lip smacking good and my little food critic, Pari too enjoyed every bit of it. I slightly modified GB’s recipe by adding freshly cracked black pepper to the stuffing. It is a quick to make delish starter that I am sure will be made pretty often in my kitchen.
Stuffed Potato with sweet Corn, Capsicum & Cheese
Difficulty Level: Easy
- Potatoes – 4 medium sized
- Grated Cheese (Mozzarella) – 6 tbsp
- Capsicum (medium sized) – 1 finely chopped
- Sweet Corn Kernels – 2 tbsp
- Chili Flakes – 2 to 3 tsp
- Oregano Mix – 4 tsp
- Salt – as per need
- Olive Oil (you can use any cooking oil) – 2 tsp
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and boil them in a pressure cooker till 3/4 done. Cool them thoroughly before proceeding.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Centigrade.
- Cut the potatoes (leave the skin on) into half and carefully scoop out the core without breaking the skin making small cups.
- Mix the scooped out potato with finely chopped capsicum, sweet corn kernels, oregano mix, chili flakes, salt to taste and give it a gentle stir to mix the seasoning well.
- In a small bowl take 2 tsp oil. To it add a pinch of salt, gently stir and using a pastry brush paint this oil salt mixture on the skin of potato cups.
- To fill the stuffing, in each potato cup first add a pinch of grated cheese followed by the prepared stuffing and top it up with a sprinkle of cheese and sprinkle freshly cracked black pepper on top.
- Arrange all the stuffed potatoes in a greased baking tray and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese turns golden.
- Serve hot
It tastes best when eaten hot and a dash of tomato ketchup adds to it’s goodness.
- I used the Chili flakes and Oregano from the leftover sachets of the Pizzas home delivered earlier. So next time you order a pizza and have extra Oregano and Chili flakes left, ensure you keep it to season starters like I do.
- To make the recipe suitable for small kids, take out a part of the stuffing before adding chili flakes, though Oregano is well relished by kids.
- You can change the cheese to Cheddar or use a mixture of Mozzarella and Cheddar or even any other cheese to suit your personal liking.
For more recipes from my kitchen, visit my food corner