Jackfruit is widely eaten as a fruit in southern parts of India. When eaten as a fruit, it’s the ripe sweet Jackfruit, which has pale to a bright yellow pulp and a sweet taste with strong fragrance.
When cooked as a vegetable we need the raw fruit.
The raw Jackfruit is tough and fibrous, the pulp should be off-white and it should not smell sweet.
To make this simple yet very tasty recipe, we need to take a slice (a thick one) of the Jackfruit.
Make sure it is from the centre of the fruit for if taken from either end, it will be difficult to slice and a lot of it goes waste while carving out pieces.
The following is a time-tested recipe made from fresh jackfruit that is sure to win hearts.
* Dum – It is a method of cooking (simmering) in yoghurt over medium heat.
Kathal Dum Masala – Jackfruit in Yoghurt Gravy
Difficulty Level: Medium
- Jack Fruit – 1 kg
- Onions – 2 medium
- Tomatoes – 4 medium-sized/tomato puree 3tbsp
- Yoghurt/ home set Curd – around 200 grams (1 cup)
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil to fry
- Apply some vegetable oil on your hands to help easy chopping of Jackfruit for it exudes milk like sticky juices.
- Avoid washing the chopped Jackfruit for it gets too messy to handle.
- Using a sharp, broad blade knife cut the Jackfruit into thick wedges about 1.5 inches wide.
- Chop the skin off the wedges (it is much easier to do it this way)
- Fry the wedges till they turn golden brown and set them aside.
- In a pressure cooker, take some vegetable oil and fry chopped onion.
- Once the onion gets a golden colour on its edges add paste of tomatoes (you can also use tomato puree), salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala.
- Mix them well and let them cook for 5 to 10 minutes on medium heat till the masala starts leaving oil on sides.
- Now add the fried jackfruit pieces and mix well. Add two cups of water, close the pressure cooker lid and let it cook on medium flame for 2 whistles.
- Since the jackfruit is tender, it cooks quick (besides it cooks while frying too). Take the pressure cooker off the heat and let it cool down before proceeding.
- Open the pressure cooker lid and add one cup curd and let the mixture simmer over low flame for around 15 minutes.
Serve hot with buttered chapatis or naan.
Find other recipes ‘From My Kitchen’ here.