It’s a yummy spicy delight that’s fast to cook and very tasty to eat. You can adjust the heat of the dish by altering the number of green chilies.
It can be eaten as a starter without gravy and goes very well as the main course dish when prepared with gravy.
Serves : 4
Difficulty Level: Easy
- Chicken (boneless) – 500 grams (thigh fillets preferably)
- Capsicum – 2 medium-sized, cut into medium cubes
- Green Chilies – 6, finely chopped
- Black Pepper – freshly ground (use a pepper mill if available)
- Egg – one
- Dark Soy Sauce – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Ginger – around 1.5 inch piece, finely chopped or grated
- Garlic – 6 to 7 cloves, finely chopped or crushed
- Spring onion/ Shallot – one
- Cornflour – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Chicken stock (if available, else water can be used as well)
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Tabasco (optional for extra heat) – 1 tsp
- Oil – for frying
- Remove the skin from chicken pieces, cut them into small pieces. If boneless, cut into medium-sized cubes, exactly the same size as capsicum cubes.
- In a bowl mix chicken with 2 tsp of crushed peppercorns, three tbsp of cornflour, capsicum pieces, one egg, 1.5 tbsp of dark soy sauce. Cover the bowl and set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Do NOT add salt, for the dark soy sauce is itself quite salty.
- Heat oil in a wok for frying. Avoid taking too much oil, for the remainder will be useful in preparing gravy.
- Now fry the marinated chicken pieces. Strain excess oil on a paper towel and set aside.
- The fried chicken pieces can be eaten as such as starters.
For the Gravy:
- In the same wok and the left over oil add chopped garlic,ginger, green chilies and let then fry till they start turning golden brown.
- Dissolve two tablespoons of cornflour in a bowl of chicken stock/ water. Add this to the wok.
- Add the remaining dark soy sauce and stir well.
- To this add the fried chicken and capsicum.
- Stir continuously till the gravy starts thickening.
- Add cracked black pepper and vinegar. Stir well.
- For added heat, you can even add a teaspoon of Tabasco.
- Turn off the flame and garnish with chopped spring onion.
- You can taste and adjust the salt before serving, usually Dark soy sauce is itself quite salty. To reduce saltiness add little water to the gravy and to increase the salt, add little soy sauce.
Serving suggestion: It goes well with fried rice. My personal favorite is mushroom fried rice.
For more recipes from my kitchen, visit my food corner.