This is a simple cake that’ll startle you with its rich crunchiness. It tantalizes taste buds with its fresh apple and the kiss of cinnamon to add to its beautiful flavors.
I baked this cake a couple of hours back and everyone has been delightfully surprised with the way it has turned out.
Apple Crumble Cake:
Servings : 12 to 14
Difficulty Level: Medium
For The Crumb Topping:
- Butter – 5 tbsp
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Walnuts coarsely chopped – 1/2 cup
For the cake:
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp (I ground it at home)
- Butter – 8 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs (whole) – 2
- Vanilla essence 2 tsp
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup (I used the home set curd)
- Apple – 2 peeled, cored and diced
For the Crumb Topping:
- Mix together butter, sugar, flour and salt with a fork till you get a crumbly mixture.
- Mix in chopped walnuts and refrigerate (do not put in freezer) till required.
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (about 355 degrees F).
- Grease and line the bottom and sides of an 8″ round or square tin.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder. Keep this mixture aside.
- Beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in eggs one by one, beating for about 1 minute after each addition followed by vanilla essence.
- Add the flour mixture and yogurt alternately, beginning and ending with flour.
- Beat well till you get a smooth batter.
- Batter will be thick. Mix in the diced apple.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared cake tin and even out the top using a spatula.
- Sprinkle over the crumb topping evenly.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or till crumbs are golden and the bamboo skewer inserted comes out clean.
Serving Suggestion: Serve plain or with some whipped cream or custard.
This recipe has been adapted from the book ‘Baking – from my home to yours’ – by Dorie Greenspan
For more recipes from my kitchen, visit my food corner.