It is one of the most popular Indian (non-vegeterian) dishes relished all over the world where Indian food is eaten. Famous for its rich creamy texture and the bright tandoori color this is one of those recipes that will stay in your heart for a very long time.
Difficulty Level: Medium
- Chicken – 1 kg (preferably boneless)
- Yogurt – 1.5 cup
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste- 3 tbsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Green Chilies – 4 finely chopped
- Red Chili powder – 2to3 tsp
- Butter – 3tbsp (approx 100 gm)
- Dry Fenugreek leaves/ Kasoori Methi – 2 tsp
- Whole Garam Masala (cinnamon, bay leaf, black peppercorns,cloves) – 1 tbsp
- Green Cardamoms – 5
- Tomato puree – 400 gm
- Honey – 1tbsp
- Cream – 1/2 cup (approx 100 gm)
- Salt – to taste
- Cooking oil – 2 tbsp ( for marinade)
- Tandoori food color – 1 tsp
- Make incisions on chicken pieces. If boneless, cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- Apply mixture of 1 tsp red chili powder,1 tablespoon lemon juice and pinch salt to chicken pieces and set aside for half an hour.
- Hang yogurt in a soft muslin cloth for 20 minutes to remove all of it’s water content.
- Prepare a marinade of the hung yogurt, half teaspoon red chili powder,salt, half teaspoon garlic paste, two tablespoon ginger paste, two teaspoon lemon juice, half teaspoon garam masala powder, half teaspoon tandoori color and cooking oil.
- Coat the marinade on chicken pieces and keep the chicken to marinade in fridge for 4 to 5 hours.
To make Tandoori chicken:
- Pre-heat the Oven at 200 degrees centigrade.
- Put the chicken pieces on the oven racks and if using boneless chicken, put them on bamboo skewers keeping each piece half centimeter apart on the skewer.
- Cook for 15 minutes ( for boneless) or until the chicken is cooked through, turn sides and once almost done, paste butter on the pieces using pantry brush.
- Cook for further five minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
For the Makhni Gravy:
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add green cardamom seeds, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ginger garlic paste, green chili paste and cook for two minutes.
- Add tomato puree, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt and let it cook till butter leaves sides of the pan.
- Add one to two cups of water and remaining half teaspoon of tandoori food color and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add one tablespoon of honey or three teaspoon of sugar, powdered methi (fenugreek) leaves.
- Add cooked tandoori chicken.
- Simmer for ten minutes.
- Add fresh cream, stir well and take the pan off the heat.
Serving Suggestion: Tandoori Chicken can be eaten as a snack or meal in itself. It goes well with green chutney and other sauces. Serve the Butter Chicken with hot paranthas or naan.
For more recipes from my kitchen, visit my food corner.