This one is a big monsoon favorite in my home.
Green, healthy, tasty, requires simple ingredients and is very easy to make.
Palak aur Makai ki Sabzi
Difficulty Level : Easy
- Spinach – 3 medium size bunches
- Sweet Corn / ordinary corn – 1 cup boiled kernels
- Onions – 2 medium (pureed)
- Ginger – 2 inch piece (pureed)
- Tomatoes – 6 medium (pureed)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Boil the corn kernels in a pressure cooker till three-five whistles. You can also use the tinned sweet corn by straining the brine and thoroughly rinsing in plain water. Set aside.
- Clean, trim, wash and boil the spinach leaves with minimal water and a teaspoon of sugar in a pressure cooker. Strain and puree it on cooling.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, heat one tablespoon oil and add onion and ginger paste with cumin seeds. Stir continuously till the mixture begins to change color.
- Now add pureed tomatoes, corn, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and garam masala powder.
- Mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes stirring continuously.
- Now add pureed spinach and let it simmer on low heat till oil leaves sides.
- Once the oil leaves sides add half a cup of water to adjust the consistency of the gravy. You can add more water as per your liking.
- Put on a lid and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with hot roti, paranthas or buttered naan.
Tip: To add to the richness of this simple recipe, you can add a dollop of butter or a tablespoon of creme just before serving.
For more recipes from my kitchen, visit my food corner.