This one is a big monsoon favorite in my home.
Green, healthy, tasty, requires simple ingredients and is very easy to make.
Palak aur Makai ki Sabzi
Difficulty Level : Easy
- Spinach – 3 medium size bunches
- Sweet Corn / ordinary corn – 1 cup boiled kernels
- Onions – 2 medium (pureed)
- Ginger – 2 inch piece (pureed)
- Tomatoes – 6 medium (pureed)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Boil the corn kernels in a pressure cooker till three-five whistles. You can also use the tinned sweet corn by straining the brine and thoroughly rinsing in plain water. Set aside.
- Clean, trim, wash and boil the spinach leaves with minimal water and a teaspoon of sugar in a pressure cooker. Strain and puree it on cooling.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, heat one tablespoon oil and add onion and ginger paste with cumin seeds. Stir continuously till the mixture begins to change color.
- Now add pureed tomatoes, corn, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and garam masala powder.
- Mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes stirring continuously.
- Now add pureed spinach and let it simmer on low heat till oil leaves sides.
- Once the oil leaves sides add half a cup of water to adjust the consistency of the gravy. You can add more water as per your liking.
- Put on a lid and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with hot roti, paranthas or buttered naan.
Tip: To add to the richness of this simple recipe, you can add a dollop of butter or a tablespoon of creme just before serving.
For more recipes from my kitchen, visit my food corner.
21 thoughts on “Palak aur Makai ki Sabzi – Sweet Corn in Spicy Spinach Gravy”
I make this too… same way 🙂 Yummy!!!
Yay! same pinch lifesong 🙂
simple,best healthy recipe.. i do it in same process but i dont add tomatoes.. 🙂
it sure is healthy and tasty 🙂
I want it now! like NOW. So tempting it is ME 🙂 If possible I am going to make this tonight for dinner 🙂
I am waiting to hear how did it turn out 🙂
Wow looks yummm thanks for sharing
You are welcome t2m…do try it sometime 🙂
now this is nice and HEALTHY.. full of iron content 🙂 he he he
it sure is Bikram 🙂
Good recipe. Yummy.
thank you SG
Yummmmm ME this is my favourite subji as it it has two of my favourite things together – Palak and Corn.!
Great you reminded me of this, some work to do this weekend!
Go for it PT ….enjoy 🙂
wow looks so yummy+healthy too 🙂
thank you Garima 🙂
wow.. this is sooper.. I haven’t tried this spinach and sweet corn combo
Go for it Sujatha, it’s a delightful recipe that’s very easy to make 🙂
yummm my fav combo…:) I should try this 🙂
I posted my version a few days back here-http://aadya-ananya.com/2012/08/17/creamed-spinach-with-corn-2/
I love your version too 🙂
easy and healthy recipe 😉
Comments are closed.