The pakore of this Kadhi can be made plain (without any stuffing) or modified to any stuffing that you relish. Though most commonly onion pakoras go best with this Kadhi.
Pakore Wali Kadhi:
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the Pakoras:
- Gram Flour (Besan) – 3/4 cup
- Onion – one medium, finely chopped
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- Gram Flour (Besan) – 1/2 cup
- Yogurt – 1.5 cup (we need sour yogurt for best results though sour buttermilk serves good as well)*
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chili powder 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana) – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds (Zeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Heeng) – a pinch
- Dried red chilies broken into two – 3
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 8
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp (for tadka)
- Mix all the ingredients (except oil) using half a cup of water.
- Heat sufficient oil in a wok (kadhai) and prepare pakoras by dropping small portions of the besan mixture and fry till golden brown.
- Drain the pakoras and set aside on an absorbent paper.
- For kadhi, whisk yogurt well and mix the besan well to ensure that there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and three cups of water to the mixture.
- Add two tablespoons of oil to a thick bottomed pan. Add curry leaves,asafoetida, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds to hot oil.
- Stir fry for half a minute and add the yogurt-besan mixture.
- Bring to a boil, sand stir occasionally and let it simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Add fried pakoras and let the kadhi boil for around ten more minutes.
- For the tadka, take a ghee in a small pan, add the pieces of dried red chili and red chili powder.
- Transfer the tadka immediately to the prepared kadhi.
Serving Suggestion: Serve Pakore wali kadhi hot with steamed rice.
* To get sour yogurt/buttermilk, add a pinch of salt to yogurt and leave it outside the fridge for around 5 hours. If the yogurt doesn’t turn sour, you can even add juice of half a lemon at the time of eating.
For more recipes from my kitchen, visit my food corner.